What are the changes and updates for G Suite?
On July 6, 2020, you'll be able to manage all Google Chat and classic Hangouts chat-related settings from a single page in the G Suite Admin console. This follows the update G Suite made last year to combine several settings for Google Chat and classic Hangouts. G Suite will start mapping your current service status (e.g., Google Chat on, classic Hangouts on, Chat preferred off) to the new setting which matches your current end user experience. You don’t need to take any action.
Most end users will not see any change. In domains where Google Chat is turned ON but classic Hangouts and Chat preferred are turned OFF; however, users will begin seeing Chat in Gmail over the next few weeks.
Visit the Help Center to learn more about the different settings options for chat.
New chat service settings in the Admin console
- Adminstrators and End Users.
Why does it matter?
- With your chat settings in one place, including on/off controls for different chat services, you can now view your organization's chat configuration holistically and more easily tailor it to your needs.
Getting started for aministrators.
- Admins: No action is required, as we’ll automatically align your existing settings to the new setting that matches your current user experience. Visit the Help Center to learn more about choosing a chat service for your organization.
Further Detailed information.
- We recommend the “Chat preferred” setting for admins who would like to transition their entire organization from classic Hangouts to Google Chat. With this launch, Chat preferred is now configurable at the organizational unit (OU) level.
- While these changes are rolling out, admins may temporarily see the "Chat clients" tab as well as the new service page. They should only change the new service status page to make changes for their domain.
- Please note that while the experience for most end users will not change with these new settings, in the coming weeks we’ll launch Chat in Gmail to domains that have the “Chat only” setting selected. This means that any user in a domain where Chat is turned ON and Classic Hangouts and Chat Preferred are turned OFF will start seeing Chat in Gmail. This feature was previously only available to domains with the Chat preferred setting selected. End users will have the option to turn Chat in Gmail off at the individual level.
Admins: No action is required, as we’ll automatically align your existing settings to the new setting that matches your current user experience. Visit the Help Center to learn more about choosing a chat service for your organization.
New combined service on / off setting row in the Admin console
End users: Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to turn Chat in Gmail on or off for your account. Rollout pace
New chat settings and page
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on July 6, 2020
Chat in Gmail to “Chat only” domains
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially more than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on July 6, 2020
This is available to all G Suite customers.
- Google Admin Help: Chat service consolidation
- Google Admin Help: Google Chat and classic Hangouts settings
- Google Admin Help: Transition to Chat Preferred
- Google Help: Use Google Chat in Gmail
Integrating to G Suite with Iron Cove Solutions
How can I buy G Suite?
Contact Fill out the contact us form from our site.
Set-Up We will then send set up instructions for your tenant.
Invoice We will then invoice you based on how you would like to purchase.
Support We provide first-level web-based support. Other support options are available.
For further information on G suite Consulting click here!